Tuesday, April 14, 2009

All Registered & so excited!

Ever since I can remember I wanted to be a lawyer. I had dreams of going to law school and just making a difference in the world. That is until I discovered boys. When I got pregnant with ODD15 I was 18 and dropped out of high school. MDD13 followed a couple of years later. By then I was resigned to the fact that probably my only job in life was going to be that as a Mom. Well when I divorced a year after giving birth to MDD13 I took any job I could. I was dirt poor and college was the furthest thing from my mind. Heck I did not even have a high school diploma.

Then I met X2, and from the start our marriage was rocky. It was abusive and everything bad all rolled into one. The only good thing I got out of that marriage was my Boo who is now 5. I had talked about going back to school. It always turned into a fight about how I was stupid and we could not afford it. By the time I married him I had gotten my GED.

I figured I would just work the rest of my life and so on. I was working for the State and things were good. I was going through another divorce and then I met FI, who is really who I should have married. This man is truly amazing. When I got laid off along with about 50 other people he did not flinch, told me we would make it. I could not find a job and finally found a waitressing job, where my tips were piddly and my paychecks were bouncing. I was frustrated and he told me to quit, because the stress was not worth it.

Finally a couple of months ago when I was frustrated that I could not find a job, it finally dawned on me. I would have a much better shot if I had an education. I did some research and went to FI about it. His response "Go for it" Man do I love him.

So I decided to go for my paralegal degree and all the financial aspects of it are taken care of. I registered for my classes yesterday and I am so excited. I know this will not be easy, but here I am 34 years old and am going to be starting college. I am so excited.

And then I start thinking about my Mom. She always told me how smart I was and how proud she was of me, even after I made mistakes. She passed away almost 11 years ago and I just know that she is looking down and is so proud of the way my life has turned out. Yes, I have had several bumps in the road but when it comes down to it, I do my best for my girls.

I know that now my life is looking good. I have choices that I did not have even 2 years ago. Life is great and for this I am ever so thankful. I just think back to have things were 2-3 years ago and it seems that it is a different person living that life.

I know I am headed in the right direction. It is funny, X1, ODD & MDD's Dad and I were talking awhile back and he looks at me and says "I am so proud of you" My life has changed drastically and he knows this.

I am quite proud of myself lately...now only if I can project how important college is to ODD who is really just focused on her boyfriend lately. One can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment